In order to understand the meaning of a Vedic Horoscope Chart, we first have to cover the basics. This is a Vedic Birth Chart comprises of a square divided into 12 houses which are numbered from 1-12, as is illustrated in the image below in the directions indicated with the arrows:
Each house corresponds to various parts of life as listed below:
- The first house represents Your Self, Body, Mind, and Personality
- 2nd is your Family, Wealth, Speech, Fixed Assets
- 3rd is your Siblings, Communication etc
- 4th is your Childhood, Home, Mother
- 5th is your Creativity, Education
- 6th is Competitors, Disease, Debts, Conflicts, Obstacles etc
- 7th is your Partner, Legal Dealings
- 8th is Sudden Changes, Hidden Things, Death
- 9th is your Luck or Past Life Karma, your Religious Inclinations
- 10th is your Career, your Father
- 11th is your Social Network, Friends, Gains
- 12th is Foreign Lands, Imagination, Dreams, Bed Pleasures, Spirituality
The chart is divided into 12 zodiac signs too. Each house will have one zodiac sign. The signs are usually represented by numbers:
1 = Aries
2 = Taurus
3 = Gemini
4 = Cancer
5 = Leo
6 = Virgo
7 = Libra
8 = Scorpio
9 = Sagittarius
10 = Capricorn
11 = Aquarius
12 = Pisces
In the image below, there is number 8 in the first house i.e. Scorpio in the first house.
The Sagittarius zodiac is there in the 2nd house in the chart we have and Taurus in the 7th house. The houses are always fixed. The top one is always the first house. The first house is the Ascendant. So, this person has a Taurus ascendant.
Common Abbreviations for the Nine Planets:
AS = Ascendant (Your 1st house)
MO = Moon
SU = Sun
SA = Saturn
ME = Mercury
MA = Mars
VE = Venus
JP = Jupiter
Ra = Rahu
Ke = Ketu
Rahu (Ra) is the North Node of the Moon and Ketu (Ke) is the South Node of the Moon are special points in space calculated based on the positions of Sun and Moon respectively. Hence, they are not really planets but points in space. Although, it is said they might be invisible planets not on the physical plane.
Each planet has a specific energy to it and a specific representation:
- Sun represents the father, the boss in workplace, the ruler (king) of a nation. It represents your soul and your ego. It shines bright, radiance.
- Moon is intuition, emotions, mother, the queen, the homeland, the childhood.
- Mars is the soldier, aggressive energy, vitality. It also represents people who dig deep…engineers, miners, surgeons, etc.
- Mercury is the Prince. He loves to have fun, go after the women. But, he can also take care of the business, when the King asks him to. He is the businessman.
- Jupiter is the guru, the teacher, the wisdom.
- Venus is beauty, creativity, pleasures etc.
- Saturn is discipline, structure, hard work
- Ra is uncontrolled desire
- Ke is indifference
While these basics about the different houses, their significance, which area of life they depict, which zodiac they represent, which planets they represent etc., give us the fundamental knowledge of reading the pictorial depiction of a Vedic Birth Chart and Horoscope, however, there are many elaborate pieces and layers to the Jyotish chart, which takes in-depth study and practice to understand as well as master. This is the 1st step towards understanding how a Vedic Horoscope looks and what each house depicts on a broad level.