This timeless mantra written by Sage Vishwamitra is over 6000 years old and inundated with wisdom. It is dedicated to the Sun God and was first mentioned in Rigveda Samhita.
This mantra is as the mother of all Vedic Mantras Gayatri is said to be the five-faced Goddess, ruling the five senses and five Pranas. She is said to be the protector of mankind and who so ever seeks her refuge and recites this mantra. She is also referred to as Savitri in some ancient Indian texts or Vedas.
This mantra is acclaimed as “Mother of the Vedas” with the power of eliminating all evils and darkness by imparting light in our minds. Bhagavad Gita also mentions this mantra; since Lord Krishna had decreed to the great warrior Arjuna “Among all the mantras, I am the Gayatri”.
We meditate on the glory of the Creator;
Who has created the Universe;
Who is worthy of Worship;
Who is the embodiment of Knowledge and Light;
Who is the remover of all Sin and Ignorance;
May He enlighten our Intellect.
O, Divine mother, our hearts are loaded up with darkness.
Kindly make this darkness distant from us and advance brightening inside us.
The words in the mantra are arranged such that it creates a powerful impact on the mind, body and soul. For maximum effectiveness, Gayatri mantra is to be chanted 108 times daily using a Mala. According to Vedas, time has three qualities: Satva, Rajas, and Tamas. (Purity, passion and inaction) as follows:
- 4 am to 8 am and 4 pm to 8 pm have the Satvic quality
- 8 am to 4 pm are Rajasic
- 8 pm and 4 am are Tamasic
Satva is the best time to chant the Gayatri Mantra. Hence, the Gayatri Mantra should be recited between 4 am to 8 am and 4 pm to 8 pm.
Here are the key benefits of chanting this universally powerful mantra:
- Provides cardiovascular exercise
- Strengthens the function of lungs
- Focus on breathing pattern reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves focus, concentration levels and learning capacity
- Enhance nerve and heart functioning
- Removes evil influences and negative thoughts
- It is a powerful chant to enhance prosperity
- Regular Jaap (Recitation) of Gayatri Mantra is said to removes all obstacles in life