Feng Shui is a system of harmonizing everyone to their surrounding environment and energies. It teaches us how we can balance the energies in spaces, such as at home or your office. The Chinese words Feng Shui means Wind & Water. These are two natural elements that flow, move and circulate everywhere on Earth, which are essential for human survival. Chi is another element with that and is necessary for life-giving forces. Wind and Water are the direct carriers of this Chi and all living objects contain this lifeforce.
Feng Shui is based on the idea of our homes being a mirror of our energy and what is happening inside of us. As we want to harmonize our environment with our own energies. With Feng Shui, objects in a room are arranged according to the flow of natural energy. The concept also involves using colours, materials, and the layout of a space to create a favourable ambience.
Here we listed out some basic Feng Shui principles and tips to follow in order to bring harmonious positive energies into your home:
- Clear Your Clutter: Clutter is the worst thing to have according to Feng Shui, so let’s start our journey with addressing this and get rid of the clutter! If your house is dirty, you’re letting negative Chi accumulate. The clutter can mean that you have a lot of stuff you don’t love or you don’t use and you are only creating blocks of negative energy for yourself. This is an essential step you have to take when you are trying to create a house that has positive Chi energy. Clear out the clothes you don’t wear, electronics that are broken, the old unused items lying below the bed.
- Get Good Quality Air And Light: Two things that are essential for good Feng Shui are Air and Light. To ensure that you have good quality air and light flowing throughout your home, there are a few things you can make sure to do.
Surround yourself with light as light is the strongest manifestation of energy. Open your windows as often as you can, and allow as much natural light into your home as possible. Even in the form of artificial light through well-placed lamps serve the purpose of creating a well-lit home.
There are also Feng Shui plants that are natural air-purifying, such as Areca Palm, Bamboo, Jade Plant aka Money Plant, Lady Palm, Rubber Plant, Dracaena Deresmensis aka Janet Craig, or Dracaena Sanderiana aka Lucky Bamboo Plants. Plants inevitably radiate good energy that positively affects all aspects of life.
Making sure that you have a lot of natural light in your home, as well as fresh air will really help you to achieve good Feng Shui energy.
- Learn The Basics Of 5 Feng Shui Elements: To be able to truly practice Feng Shui in your own space, it is very important to learn the basics of the 5 Feng Shui elements, so that you understand more about how you can achieve good energy.
The elements are defined as Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, and Water and each of the elements have a unique quality of energy. There is a lot to learn about how these elements can affect your home, so try and expand your knowledge on this.
If you would like more prosperity you would need to add more Wood and Water elements into the Southeast areas of your home.
- Always Be Mindful Of The Quality Of Energy In Your Home: Try and be mindful when it comes to your home and its energy. Pay attention to how you feel that your home is influencing your own energy.
In Feng Shui, there is something called the “Trinity” which are your bedroom, your bathroom, and your kitchen. The “Trinity” is connected to your health, so be mindful when it comes to these rooms and see how they may be affecting you. These rooms should, in particular, be optimized for a positive association.
One way that you can also be more aware of your energy is to check the energy flow in your home. To do this, you need to be aware of what can create bad energy. An example is the emissions of energy from electronics that can be disruptive to your sleep, so it is advisable to remove electronics from the bedroom to create a relaxing positive sanctuary.
- Seek Out Balance: Another thing to remember when practising Feng Shui in your home is to try and always seek out balance. This could be making sure that you have something around your home that represents each of the five elements and not just one.
With Feng Shui, you need things to be balanced and centred in your home. For example, having candles in your home will help with the Fire element, and having them next to a wooden bowl or ornaments can create a great balance.
You can also use colours around your house that symbolize the five elements:
- Wood – Green
- Water – Black
- Fire – Red
- Metal – White
- Earth – Yellow, Tan, and Brown
Shapes also play an important role wherein and it is advised to have an abundance of shapes in your home. Shapes represent different elements according to Feng Shui and you need a mix of all these elements in order to achieve a wonderful living space. The following shapes symbolize the five elements and give the feeling of completeness and balance:
- Wood – Rectangles
- Water – Wavy
- Fire – Triangles
- Metal – Round
- Earth – Square
- Use Mirrors Wisely: When placing mirrors around the house, be mindful of where you put them. It is said that mirrors reflect energy, so you would not want mirrors placed where negative energy is present.
Try and place mirrors in places where you would like to increase energy flow. For example, this could be your bathroom or living room. Mirrors also energize the room too. So, it’s not always a great idea to have them in your bedroom, as this can make it harder for you to get enough sleep.
- Open The Front Door To Positive Energy: If the entrance to your home feels welcoming, you have good Feng Shui. When you open your front door, you would want the area to feel calm, not cluttered and also easy to enter. It’s best to get rid of any obstacles that may be in the way, near the front door too. As this will be the first thing you see of the home, it can affect the rest of the home too. So, making sure the front door and front of the house have positive energy is important. Another thing to do is to make sure you have objects that please you around that area, such as art or furniture that you enjoy looking at.
- Use Feng Shui Wealth Colors: The Wealth colour in Feng Shui is Gold, so if you can incorporate gold items into your home, try it. This can be a painting or frame, rugs or pillows etc. This colour is a Feng Shui wealth essential and the second choice is Purple. Put items of these 2 colours throughout your house, can be great Feng Shui.
- Water Flow: The best areas for water flow in your home would be the East, Southeast or North area. Water is an ancient Feng Shui symbol for wealth and prosperity.
A good item to bring into your home would be a fountain. Whichever fountain you like and are drawn to will be perfect and can give your home great energy. Having a fountain indoors will also diffuse healthy negative ions into the air. The only place that is not a good room for a fountain would be the bedroom or an area where another element is more suited; these places can create negative energy.
There are many ways that you can get rid of negative energy in your home, and Divinity World would be happy to help you embark on this journey to bring peaceful and positive energy to your home and promote health and wealth in your life.