Mars is one of the most interesting and powerful planets from an Astrological standpoint. There is a deeply engrained perception around Mangal Dosha and Manglik marriages. We will help in demystifying this topic, but before doing that, we first need to understand more about the fundamental disposition of planet Mars and its inherent characteristics as a natural malefic planet.
Mars is the embodiment of brute force as the God of War, and the Commander-in-Chief of the assembly of the nine planets. It rules over courage, bravery, patience, self-confidence, leadership abilities, physical strength, forcefulness, violence, anger, hatred, impulsive nature, and insensitivity. Mars is considered malefic but for Cancer and Leo ascendant, this becomes Yogakaraka and bestows the native with prosperity and wealth. Mars is the ruler of Aries and Scorpio zodiac signs. It has been observed that Mars give open aggressiveness to Arians and secretive aggressiveness to Scorpions.
The concept of Mangal Dosha in Vedic astrology is, if Mars is placed in the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th or the 12th house of the ascendant birth chart, it is called “Mangal Dosha” and the person born with this condition in their birth chart is termed as “Manglik”. Fortunately, in many cases the individual does not have anything to fear, as certain planetary positions render it ineffective and nullify its impact.
Coming to the question of whether a Manglik can marry a Non-Manglik, there are certain things that can help determine the answer depending upon the individual case:
- The presence of Mars in the 7th or 8th house is considered most unfavourable for marital bliss. In case any one or several of planets such as Saturn, Rahu, Ketu or Sun are also in conjunction with Mars, the combination becomes even more severe and can result in loss of spouse, separation and/or friction in a marriage
- On a positive note, this means that if Mars occupies the 1st, 2nd, 4th or 12th house, the Dosha is not as harmful
- Even if Mangal Dosha is present in 7th or 8th house, there are Vedic remedies that can dilute the effect
Manglik Dosha effects relationships when there are certain placements in the natives’ chart:
- If Mars is placed in the 1st house, then the native may become arrogant and hyper which may result in a break in the relationship
- Mars in 2nd house would make the native aggressive and excessively dominating in family and spoil peace in the home
- If Mars is placed in the 4th house, it aspects the 7th house which may cause a lack of happiness in domestic life due to quarrels and aggression
- If Mars is placed in the 7th house which naturally affects marital happiness and would give rise to excess sex appetite, it may lead to separation or legal separation in marriage
- If Mars is placed in the 8th house, it aspects the 2nd house of a family which may hamper relations in the family and could give danger to life, sudden death, injury by weapons, problems with in-laws, it will also affect family happiness
- If Mars is placed in the 12th house, it aspects the 7th house which is a house of Marriage, and would give bad health to spouse and excessive sex appetite and spendthrift attitude
This Dosha gets cancelled if the following planetary conditions exist in the natives’ birth chart:
- When Mars is in its own sign (Aries, Scorpio), exalted (Capricorn) or in the houses owned by Planets supposed to be his Friends (Sun, Jupiter, Moon)
- If Mars is in the 2nd house but in Gemini, Virgo daily horoscope sign
- If Mars is in the 12th house but in Taurus, Libra
- If Mars is in the 7th house but in Cancer, Capricorn
- For Aquarius ascendant Mars in the 4th or 8th house
This Dosha ceases to exist if the following planetary conditions are present in the natives’ birth chart:
- If Mars is in the 8th house but in Sagittarius, Pisces
- For Cancer and Leo ascendant, Mars is a Yogakaraka i.e., a beneficial influence
- If benefic Jupiter or Venus is in ascendant
- If Mars is in conjunction or aspected by Jupiter or Moon
- If Mars is in conjunction or aspected by Sun, Mercury, Saturn, Rahu
Unlike Nadi Doshas, where the absence of effective remedies to counter the Nadi Dosha can lead to dire consequences if the couple decide to go ahead with the marriage, effective remedies exist to rectify Manglik Dosha and there are solutions for the marriage between a Manglik and a Non-Manglik person. If the opposite Non-Manglik native’s chart has a strong placement and influence of natal Saturn then both can marry.
We shouldn’t reject the proposal of marriage between a Manglik and Non-Manglik couple automatically, before taking the other planetary influences of both individuals into consideration. Divinity World emphasizes that it is very important to firstly analyze the two horoscopes to check on the presence of any Doshas and to see whether the effect of the Dosha in one’s horoscope is mitigated or reduced to a great extent by the positive placement of other planets in the horoscope. Consulting an astrologer for a detailed Kundali Reading for Marriage, would give an idea about the effects and remedies for the same.